pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Seasonally Inappropriate Chocolate Peanut-Butter Ice Cream!

I thought I'd repost an earlier recipe with my new modifications now that I've made it a billion times. I have a picture this time, and in my head I made it with peanut-butter. I didn't put actual peanut butter in it because my copilots May and China don't love peanut-butter with the scary intensity that I do.

But in my head, it's in there.



Beautiful Vegan's Gluten-Free Raw Chocolate Ice Cream

Modifications by Becky. Re-modifications still by Becky.
(I typically double quadrouple this recipe. Replace Agave with your preferred sweetener)
From BeautifulVegan.com :

In a blender mix:
1 avocado (pitted and peeled of course) -should be a ripe one
3 heaping Tbsp of raw cocoa powder (you can use normal cocoa powder if you don't have raw)-
1/6 c raw agave nectar
1/6 c brown rice syrup
more agave nectar if you're addicted to sugar like i am.
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vanilla extract (or the scrapings from a vanilla bean pod)
1/2 c water (or more depending if your blender wants more water to work or not)-sometimes it needs quite a bit more.
healthy dollops of peanut-butter. go ahead. go nuts.


Make sure it's really creamy, use a spatula to get the pieces of avocado that get missed. And that's it. I know it sounds weird to make chocolate pudding with avocado, but it turns out creamy and absolutely delicious!
It can be used for a breakfast, snack or formal desert. Just add berries (especially strawberries) or use it as a fondu with cut up bananas and other goodies. this recipe serves 2 big bowls.

Becky's Notes:
I don't care what haters say about agave, I still cook with it. I've heard convincing arguments both ways, and I rarely use it anyways, so I'd say that a little in moderation goes a looong way towards achieving butteriness. I don't use only agave in the recipe above. I think it dominates the flavor of the vanilla and overwhelms the dish. Since I double the recipe, here's the break-down:

1/6 to 1/4 cup agave, with the rest of the 2/3 cup of sweetener as brown rice syrup
1 extra tsp. vanilla

When I dollop this into the frozen popsicle maker in my head, I add 2 tsp. cinnamon and a TINY hit of cayenne pepper. Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment